Barred Surfperch – Amphistichus argenteus. Other names for the barred surfperch are silver perch, surf perch, sand perch, and silver surf fish.
Identifying Characteristics and Biology
- Barred Surfperch are oval with a compressed body with alternating gold to brown vertical stripes and spots.
- The large mouth has a lower jaw that is shorter than its upper jaw.
- They are fully mature when they are about 2 years old or 6 to 7 inches in length.
Range and Location
- These fish can be found Bodega Bay, CA to Baja California, Mexico, from the surf zones to more than 200 feet deep.
- Catch and release, and if keeping they make great eating.