Basic Pan Fried Fish
This is a simple technique for frying up fish fillets in a frying pan.
- 2 lbs. fresh fish fillets, cut into serving sized pieces
- Salt and pepper
- All-purpose flour, as needed
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup breading (bread or cracker crumbs, panko, cornmeal, etc.)
- Enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan by 1/8 of an inch
- Sprinkle the fish fillet portions with salt and pepper.
- Dredge both sides with flour.
- Dip the lightly floured fillets into the egg wash, then drain away any extra, and then roll them in the bread crumb or other dry coating. Shake off excess.
- Place the fillets in a preheated frying pan in a single layer, and fry over moderate heat until browned on one side, then turn over and fry until golden on the other side. Ensure each fillet is cooked through before serving.
- Place on absorbent paper toweling, then repeat with remaining fillets.
- Serve immediately.