Oven frying fish is similar to deep fat frying, but instead of using hot oil you are surrounding the fish with very hot heat. A very hot oven, typically set to 500 degrees F, is used. If you have a convection oven, cooking times may be shorter and a crispier crust will result.
The outer crust will not be as crisp when compared to the same fillet that has been cooked in a deep fryer, but this is another great method for cooking fish.
Oven Fried Fish Fillets
- 2 pounds fish fillets, cut into serving sized pieces
- 1 cup of milk mixed with 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet.
- Dip each fillet in the salted water, and lift to drain excess. Roll in the bread crumbs, and place in a single layer on the sheet pan. Spoon a little bit of the melted butter over each fillet.
- Bake until the fish flakes, and is lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Serve hot.