Shortfin Corvina, Cynoscion parvipinnis.
Identifying Characteristics and Biology
- Elongated body with a large mouth and projecting lower jaw.
- Shortfin covina have a unique feature having two large upper fangs one of which retracts or can break off.
- They are gray to blue on top fading to silver on the belly.
Range and Habitat
- Shorfin corvina are a dermersal species.
- They live inshore on sandy or muddy shallows feeding on small fish.
- They are found in Easter Pacific waters, north of Mazatlan to Santa Barbara and the Gulf of California (Sea of Cortez).
- It was an introduced species to the Salton Sea in the 1950s before they died out.
- Popular sport fish in Southern California, and good eating fish.